Monday, September 22, 2014

The Bus

In addition to more students, a few teachers were still straggling in as well.  Some had been held up by visa issues, others had just been hired.  Each day the bus that took us to and from the accommodation got a little bit fuller.  At first it was no big deal because there were little fold out jump seats to fill in the aisles.  But soon, those too were full.  There was also a seat next to the driver that no one had been brave enough to sit in until now. The next day, someone had to also occupy the hump seat, which wasn't really a seat at all, just the middle space between the driver and the drivers side passenger.  Sitting in that spot required creative positioning of ones legs, and the ability to move out of the way whenever the driver needed to change gears.  This job usually fell to whoever was unfortunate enough to arrive last, but if this person was older or larger, might be passed off to one of the smaller teachers in exchange for a coffee.   We knew there were still two more teachers coming in the next few days, so we all started to wonder what they would do.  Would there be another bus?  Would they hire a car to handle the overflow?

Everyday for a week, Lisa, one of the lead teachers had told the vice principal that there were no extra seats on the bus, and that in fact someone was having to ride in that "hump" seat which was not only uncomfortable but also unsafe, and everyday, the vice principal told her not to worry, they would take care of it, until finally, after four days of reminders, the VP snapped at her and said, "Stop bringing it up!  Mind your own business, you just take care of your team and we will take care of logistics."  So Lisa didn't mention it anymore after that.

I think it was two days after that that the bus finally reached capacity.  I'm usually on time in the mornings, but that morning, I couldn't find my key, so I was the last one to arrive.  Only there were no seats left.  Thankfully, one of the girls offered to slide over and we both managed to have about half a but cheek on the chair.  I sort of propped myself up by wedging my foot on the bottom step of the exit door and bracing my arm against the door handles.  How I wished we had a shorter commute.  It was at least 30 minutes and usually closer to 40 with the morning traffic.

By the time we arrived, I had pins and needles in one leg and had to limp my way into the college.  I told the Vice Principal that I had no seat on the bus that morning and would they please make arrangements for another vehicle since tomorrow there would be another teacher arriving.  She said they were handling it and seemed annoyed that yet another person had come to her with this problem.
I expected that there would be a car that afternoon to take the overflow from the bus home, but when there was still no additional car five minutes before the bus was supposed to leave I went to go remind the Vice Principal that she had promised to "handle it".  She told me that I should just get on the bus today and tomorrow they would have a car.  I asked her where she wanted me to sit.  She said I had managed on the way here, so I could manage on the way home.

Of course, this little conversation made me the last person on the bus yet again.  This time, the girl in the seat closest to the door was larger, and only got about half her asscheeks on the seat under normal conditions, so there was no possibility of sharing.  So we worked it out so I sat on the floor in front of her, and she sat sideways so her feet were dangling in the doorway.  This was more comfortable than the ride to work, but since the engine on this bus was more or less directly below me, the floor was very hot.  Luckily I had my winter coat and two sweaters with me, so I put those under my but as cushioning and to keep from scorching my kiester.

Collectively, we resolved that tomorrow we would not play this game.  If there was no car, then those of us who didn't fit in real honest to god seats would just not get on the bus.  We would call them and tell them we couldn't get to work until they sent someone to get us.  Sure enough, that is exactly what happened.  Not to me, I was one of the first people on the bus the next morning.  No way I was going to go without a seat again.  But Lisa, a new teacher, and someone else all waited for them to send a car.  Sure enough, eventually, a few hours later, they did send a car.

 After that, there was a car everyday, and a fight for who got to take the car.  Since there were only four seats in the car, the first four people to get in would go, arriving at work earlier than the rest of us, with time to make copies and coffee and set up before students arrived.  At the end of the day, the first four people in the car would head off for home.  Everyday, this got a little bit earlier until the car was leaving a full half hour before the bus.  Some of the teachers were really upset by this, and complained that it wasn't fair, especially since it seemed to be the same teachers leaving early every day.  True, it wasn't fair, but I didn't mind.  I was happy to have any seat at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment