Tuesday, October 14, 2014

First Day at the Dental & Nursing School

I felt pretty good about my decision after I had made it, until I showed up to work.  Then I started second guessing my decision.  It wasn’t that anything went wrong exactly; it was just the realization of what my daily reality would be. 
My first stop was to finalize the contract.  Of course, being in administration, and being a Saudi man, he wouldn’t be at work until 10am at the earliest.  So I went on upstairs to the women’s section and presented myself to the head of the English department for women.  She is clearly an intelligent and well organized woman, but she also clearly dislikes talking in English.  She can speak English, as we have had conversations in English together, but she tries to get away with not speaking it whenever possible.  Every conversation we have begins in Arabic.  She only switches to English when it becomes clear that I don’t understand.  Then, once she has made herself clear, she reverts back to Arabic until my face shows that I’m clearly lost again.  As you can imagine, this makes for some interesting conversations.
Her: Something in Arabic
Me: uhh….. Yes?
Her: Something cheerful in Arabic
Me:  hmm…. Thank you?
Her: A question in Arabic
Me: ah… five?
Her: Ok.  English.  Will you start today?
I told her the story of how I would start conditionally, and that if they didn’t give me my iqama by Tuesday, I would leave and go home.  She decided that it would be best then to leave me as a cover teacher for now, so that if I did leave, it wouldn’t disrupt the schedules.  There was a mid-term coming up, so she would make the changes after the mid-term if I was still here.  This made good sense to me, and as an added bonus, meant I would sort of be sitting around waiting most of the time unless someone was sick.   She then told me something in Arabic, and I smiled politely and answered, “Tuesday.”  From her quizzical look, I’m guessing she didn’t ask me anything related to the days of the week.
The teachers’ room is a typical room, sort of dingy walls, tiles on the ceiling that are stained and broken.  But it is furnished with these very fancy wood and leather desks that look like they belong in an executive’s office.   Not surprisingly, there are not enough desks for all the teachers, so the part time teachers share one between them.  There is a copy machine that actually works, and even a water dispenser that also works.  It will put out hot and cold water.  I see a lot of tea drinking in my future.
I had only brought one book with me, and I had finished it before the end of the first hour.  I was so bored I picked up a book called “Guidelines for Raising Children” which was a manual for Muslim parents about raising their child to be Islamic.  Here are some of the highlights:
·         Every infant is naturally born as a Muslim, but it is his parents who turn him into a Jew, a Christian, or a Magian.
·         Slaughter two lambs for a boy and one for a girl.
·         The rights of nature are 5; circumcision, shaving off pubic hair, trimming mustaches, clipping fingernails, and plucking armpit hairs.
·         No human infant is born, but is goaded by Satan and screams as a result - except Mary and her son, Jesus.
·         A woman is sought for marriage for four reasons: for her wealth, lineage, beauty and faith.  Win the woman of faith, may poverty be your lot.
·         O young people, whoever of you can afford it, let him get married.  It helps restrain the eyes and preserve the private parts.  But if he cannot afford it, let him fast, for it works as a preventative.
·         Order your children to perform salat (prayer) when they are 7 years old, and beat them for it when they are 10 years old, and separate them in beds.
·         He who protects what is between his jaws and what is in between his thighs, I guarantee Jannah (heaven) for him.
·         He who has three daughters and three sisters, or two daughters and two sisters and teaches them good manners and treats them kindly and gives them in marriage, his reward will be heaven. (only 2 or 3, huh?)
·         When you hear the rooster’s crow, ask Allah to grant from His bounty, for they have seen an angel.  But when you hear a donkey’s braying, then ask Allah’s protection for it has seen Satan.
·         When man dies, no good dead will be added on his record except for three: continuous charity, beneficial knowledge, or a pious son who supplicates for him.
·         The profit cursed men who copy women and women who copy men.
·         The sound of Satan is music and singing.
Don’t get me wrong, there was some good stuff in there too; teach your children manners, education is important, be fair and treat them equally, turn the other cheek, stay away from bad influences and all of that.  I would say that it was a pretty entertaining use of about an hour.  But I still had about 6 hours to go.
I went down to sign the final contract, and this time, thankfully, everything was correct.  I had some more Arabic tea with the man, and we chatted for a while about various things; which city in the US is best, the problem with London (expensive, too many Saudi’s), and the stress of running a college.  He needed to have the contracts signed by the owner of the company, so he couldn’t give them to me now.
I went back upstairs and sat around some more.  I borrowed the books from one of the teachers, just to have something to look over while I was here.  After about a half hour, the head of the woman’s English department came to tell me that Dr. Sala wanted to see me.  I had no idea who Dr. Sala was but I thought it might be the same guy I had signed the contract with.  I knew his name started with an S, though I had never quit gotten it the few times I had heard him or other people say it.  She told me to go downstairs, which is where his office was, so I figured that was the one.  I went to his office, and he told me the contract wasn’t ready yet, and seemed surprised to see me.  I asked if he had sent for me.  He told me no.  I figured maybe she had wanted me to go see him about the contract but since I had already gone down to him earlier, she may have just gotten the message earlier and only just now given it to me so I went back upstairs.
About 10 minutes later she came to get me again and I told her I just went down and he didn’t ask for me.  It turns out, I had gone to Dr. Salam, not Dr. Sala (easy mistake – especially since I didn’t know anyone’s name).  So, she took me to the right person and he took me to Dr. Sala, and all three of us left in Dr. Sala’s brand new car (I didn’t feel as sympathetic about the stresses of running a college after seeing his car) to go meet the owner of the college.  We literally drove one block over to a walled and gated home.  It’s comical how adamant Saudi’s are about not walking anywhere.  Anyway, we arrived at our destination after about 30 seconds in the car and waited for the gate to open.  Inside there was a green area, and workers constructing an outdoor tent area, and to the right were two smaller buildings.  I was told to wait in the car a moment.  I felt a little like I was being prepared to meet the Godfather or something.  The two men went in first, and then a little later they called me over.  The owner extended his hand to greet me and I was glad because I wouldn’t have known if it was okay to shake his hand or not until then.  He invited us inside, and I followed the men’s lead and took off my shoes.  Inside was a 52 inch TV screen and really nice carpets and several couches.  In one corner, a man was giving an enthusiastic presentation in English about an architectural design to an older gentleman who looked like he was struggling to keep up with the English.  He was looking intently at the pictures and occasionally would nod or look over at the other man, who might have been the translator.  There was Arabic coffee and dates everywhere, but no one offered me any. 
The owner joined us a few minutes later and gave me the welcome speech, followed by the plea to forward the resumes of any friends I had that might want to work here.   He also told me that there was a separate language institute next door to the college and he told me I would be welcome to earn extra money by working there in the afternoons.  I thanked him, and told him I would consider it, depending on how much extra money they were offering.  He talked with the other two for a while in Arabic, then asked a driver to take me back to the college and the other two stayed I suppose for a discussion.
When I got back to the college I was surprised to find that the whole meeting hadn’t eaten up more than 30 minutes.  I felt like 3:00 would never come.  I spent another hour trying to entertain myself by borrowing some of the text books to flip through.  Since I didn’t know what level I would be teaching, it seemed a little pointless to get too involved in covering any one book.  So I skimmed them all, which was about as exciting as watching paint dry.  On several occasions I may have fell asleep a little bit.  Toward the end of the day, only three teachers were left.  They all came over to sit near me, and I knew my napping was over for the day.  Even though they were all English teachers, they spoke only in Arabic.  I tried to jump in a few times, and for about a minute they would switch to English for me, but they always fell back into Arabic before too long.  Yup, if I wanted to get better at Arabic, at least I was in the right place for it.
They offered me dates and some sweets that were white chocolate hearts with sesame seeds in honey on top.  It was pretty good, but I think I preferred the date encrusted with sesame.  They were doing such a good job distracting me with candy that I forgot I was supposed to go back to Dr. Sala to get the signed contract, and to ask if they would give me transportation back to the hotel, since, technically they were supposed to provide transportation.  By the time I realized what time it was it was already 2:15.  I went downstairs, but Dr. Sala had already left for the day, being a Saudi man in administration and all.  Dang.  That meant I would be paying for two more taxi rides, one home, and another back the next morning.  At least by now, I knew how to get there.  This was good since I had left the business card of the hotel at home.

Overall, not a bad first day. If signing with this company ends up being a mistake, it probably won’t be the worst mistake I have ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment