Sunday, December 14, 2014

Three Letters

After my first day, I felt reassured that everything would work out, even if it was going to take some time.  I got the letter requesting a transfer from the publishing company, and even thought it took a whole day of standing around and waiting, I finally got the three letters from Al Farabi that they needed to process my transfer.

Since I was still teaching at Al Farabi at night, and the same building was used for the women during the day and the men at night, I was able to save myself about half a dozen cab trips by stopping in at night after my class instead of during the day.  The bald guy was still there and he still bothered me about my Arabic.  I had new respect for him though, since now I knew that he worked a long shift, he had always been there in the mornings, and now here he was at night too.  I wondered if he at least got to go home in the middle of the day.

So a few nights after receiving the letters, I went in to get my final pay minus the fees from the old company, and the document that said I didn't owe them anything and they didn't owe me anything with my signature and official thumb print and everything.  After we had done all that,  I asked if they had done the electronic transfer yet. He told me that they hadn't done it yet, but they would the next day when the man in charge came back. I thanked them and went home.  Glad to finally have my pay, even if it was about $1500 short of what I should have been paid.  Still, I figured it would be worth it.

The next day, I got a call from HR asking me to bring the letters back.  They said there was some kind of mistake on them and they needed them back.  I told them I had already given them to the new company, and it was too late to get them back.  He thought about that for a while, and then he said okay, and hung up.  At this point I was a little worried.  I told me new company about the phone call, and they looked the letters over, which were in Arabic and they did find a small typo, but they said it wasn't anything serious, and that the letters were fine as is.

The day after that, the old company called the publishing company back and demanded that they return the letters, or they would not "push the button" on the electronic transfer.  So they made copies of the letters, and they told me to take the letters back to the old company.

I went back to the HR office the next evening to give back the letters.  I thought we would do an even exchange, the old letters, for new letters.  The bald guy said they couldn't give me the new letters because the boss wasn't there to sign and stamp them.  He told me he would call me to come pick them up tomorrow or on Sunday. In retrospect, I should have kept the letters, and told him I would give them back when I got the new ones, but I figured, I had copies of them, so if they tried anything funny, I could just use the copies.  Also, I think I wanted to believe that they were honest people who would keep their word.  After all, I had paid them to let me transfer, so what more could they ask for?

Unfortunately, I would soon find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment