Thursday, January 29, 2015

Al Farabi, Once Again

Now that the GCF was over, there was no need for me to be at the SAGIA offices.   But my boss was still worried about my return to our offices, just in case immigration wanted to pass by.  So instead of going into work Thursday morning, I went to the SAGIA offices.

Amazingly, Dr. Salem was in.  I went to see him.  I asked him why they were asking me for money for the transfer when I had already paid.  He told me Suleiman needed the 30,000 riyals because that is what he had paid to bring me from America.  I explained to him that Suleiman paid nothing to bring me from America, and that in fact, Suleiman had nothing to do with anything since I had never worked for Suleiman at all, but only for Education Experts and Al Farabi.  He shrugged and told me I would have to work it out with Suleiman.  I asked him if Suleiman would make him pay the money if I simply left on final exit.  He told me, no, they wouldn't pay him anything either way.  I asked him how that seemed fair, since either way, they wouldn't have a teacher.  He just shrugged again.  He told me they would be happy to give me the final exit and my ticket home.  I told him I also wanted my 5,650 SAR back that I had paid to be able to transfer.  He said he would see what he could do but didn't think I would get that back.  I asked him why he didn't just transfer me and be done with it, but not tell Suleiman about it.  Suleiman would never know.  He told me he couldn't do that because he was a man of his word.  I told him that obviously he wasn't because he told me I could transfer and now he was saying that I couldn't.  Not the most tactful approach, I'll admit, but I had really just about had it with Suleiman.   He told me again that I would have to take it up with Suleiman.  I thanked him for his time, and left.

We went back upstairs to HR to arrange the final exit and the checks.  They agreed that they would give me back 2,000 of the 5,650, and of course, to pay me for the additional hours I had since worked in the evening teaching.  I waited about 30 minutes for them to process my checks, and while I was waiting, my bald friend told me I should make a case at the ministry of labor to try to get all of the 5,650 SAR back instead of just 2,000.  He also told me that once they issued the final exit, I would be in danger of not having time to make the case at the labor office, because technically, if they wanted to be really mean, they could send my case to deportation immediately and they would find me and send me off on the next plane.  This seemed fantastical, but I did take his advice on making a case with the labor office.  After all, even if I didn't win, it would at least buy me time.  When it became clear that they wouldn't be able to process my checks that day, I told him I would be back on Sunday to collect my money, and left to make a case at the Ministry of Labor.

Luckily, a friend who had driven me to Al Farabi, was kind enough to drive me to the Ministry of Labor and give me translation help so I could fill out the necessary forms in Arabic.  Since this was my second trip to the Ministry of Labor, I was pretty used to the system and it was relatively painless. I knew where the women's section was now and only had to go back out once to the men's side to have my friend help me translate an additional piece of paperwork.  The whole thing only took about an hour.  The ladies inside were friendly and sympathetic.  Unfortunately, it didn't buy me as much time as I had hoped it would. Usually, they don't schedule an appointment with a Ministry of Labor mediator for several weeks, but this time they made an appointment for a week from today.  Maybe there aren't as many cases for women, or maybe they aren't that busy this time of year.  Either way, it was sooner than I hoped, but it still bought me a week.

We will see what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. salty.celeste@gmail.comAugust 6, 2015 at 5:02 PM

    What happens next??? I've been looking into teaching in Saudi Arabia and read your entire blog - it's absolutely fascinating! I'm convinced you could publish it. Were you able to transfer? Are you still in Riyadh? I need to know!! :)

    ReplyDelete